Ellen is an experienced benefits specialist providing assistance to attorneys in a wide range of employee benefit plan-related transactions, corrections, and regulatory filings.
- Prepares retirement plan adoption agreements, plan documents, amendments, summary plan descriptions, adopting resolutions and related plan forms, and participant notices.
- Organizes and tracks transactional and/or regulatory filing or notice distribution tasks and communicates progress to team as issues and/or items are resolved.
- Assists with performance of due diligence reviews of employee benefit plans in merger and acquisition transactions.
- Prepares IRS determination letter application filings, IRS Voluntary Compliance Program (VCP) application submissions, and IRS Form 5330 (excise tax) filings.
- Assists with calculation of corrective contributions and distributions for self-correction and VCP purposes.
- Prepares Top Hat filings, Department of Labor DFVCP filings and Department of Labor Voluntary Fiduciary Correction Program (VFCP) applications.
- Assists with preparation of responses to IRS or Department of Labor audits of employee benefit plans.
- Assists with defined benefit plan terminations and PBGC filings.
- Conducts missing participant searches.
- Assists with coverage testing, nondiscrimination testing, annual additions testing, top heavy testing, employer contribution calculations, deduction limits, and contribution deposit deadlines.
- Serves as QDRO coordinator on behalf of plan administrators; assists with QDRO assignments on behalf of participants, alternate payees, and plan administrators.
- Assists with controlled group and affiliated service group determinations.
In addition to providing assistance to attorneys and clients, Ellen administers Gray Plant Mooty’s defined contribution plan and is a member of the Retirement Committee.