Michael P. Sullivan, Jr.
Managing Officer, Principal, Corporate & Business Co-Chair
Mike Sullivan is Managing Officer/CEO of Gray Plant Mooty, serves on the firm's Board of Directors, and chairs its Corporate and Business Practice Group. He concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions, corporate governance, general corporate/business counseling and securities offerings—including private placements, venture capital financings, and private equity and debt offerings. In addition to his transactional work for clients, Mike spends a considerable amount of time working with owners of closely held and family businesses to resolve issues and disputes among stakeholders; he also acts as the outside general counsel for several of the firm’s clients, managing their full range of legal needs.
Clients and adversaries alike value Mike’s leadership, patience, persistence, and practical approach to problem solving. They claim that these qualities are what differentiate Mike. Here is a sampling of some of the feedback he has received:
- “I really enjoyed the time (and the outcome) we worked together . . . I liked your straightforward, calm approach to solving problems and thought the two of us made a good team.” -CEO of a client who made a significant strategic acquisition
- “Thanks, Mike, for your patient, focused leadership. You do such a good job of keeping a large, diverse group working toward the goal of getting a very important but laborious job done.” -President of client selling a division to a financial buyer
- “Thank you for your commitment to getting the transaction done. The timing, the week before Christmas, wasn’t what we wanted, but somehow, someway, with your help, it got done. I sincerely appreciate your even keel, glass-is-half full approach. I value the working relationship and look forward to the next opportunity.” -CFO of a client that Mike has assisted in numerous strategic acquisitions
- “Thank you for all the work on this transaction. You did an excellent job. You’re a master at keeping your cool and pushing on.” -Former CEO of a public company who Mike assisted in a personal business transaction
- “Thank you for all of your hard work and sage advice that you provided during the sale . . . I felt that I was well represented.” -CEO and majority owner of a client who sold to a strategic buyer
- “Just a quick note to tell you I thought you did a very good job at not only protecting your client, but helping push the deal forward through some rough patches . . . Congratulations!” -CEO who sat on the opposite side of a transaction with Mike
Mike’s patience, persistence, and can-do attitude when approaching complex business transactions and his ability to deal with an attorney at a Fortune 500 pharmaceutical company one minute and the owners of a small shoe store the next minute comes from having a variety of life experiences, including being raised in a family with six kids, living and teaching English in a rural community along the Costa Rican/Nicaraguan border, interning in the Parliament of the United Kingdom and the United States Senate, walking from the Atlantic Ocean to the Pacific Ocean, parking cars at the United States Senate, bussing tables in Breckenridge, Colorado, living in Manhattan and working at a major financial institution on Wall Street, traveling to India on over a dozen occasions, and, last but not least, competing in the giant sunflower contest at the Minnesota State Fair (taking home the coveted first place Blue Ribbon).