We are Focused on Franchising
With more than 35 lawyers, our Franchise & Distribution Practice Group is one of the largest franchise practices in the United States with the largest concentration of franchise litigators. Our lawyers and staff focus on nothing but franchising—allowing us to provide unparalleled knowledge, experience, and depth to our franchisor clients—particularly when they are faced with issues that are important to their systems.
We Represent ONLY Franchisors
Gray Plant Mooty understands franchising and only represents franchisors and their interests. GPM litigators have developed a national reputation as zealous advocates for their franchisor clients and will not take a position in court that is adverse to franchisors.
We Know What We are Doing
Our franchise lawyers have been recognized nationally and internationally, including:
- 15 members listed in International Who’s Who in Franchising (2018)
- 15 members listed as “Best Lawyers in America” by Woodward and White (2020)
- 18 members listed as “Super Lawyers” and “Rising Stars” (2019)
- Recognized as one of the top international franchise firms by Chambers Global (2019)
- 17 members listed as “Legal Eagles” by Franchise Times (2019)
We Litigate Throughout the U.S.—Cost-Effectively
We have handled franchise cases in virtually every state, and have made important case law on behalf of franchisors on numerous legal issues, including antitrust, vicarious liability, trademark infringement, noncompete enforcement, standards enforcement, underreporting of sales, encroachment, termination rights, and liquidated damages. We have also successfully defended franchisors in class actions brought in many states.
GPM is able to maintain a national franchise litigation practice because we have developed an extensive network of local counsel lawyers throughout the United States to ensure maximum efficiency at very favorable rates. These lawyers act as procedural local counsel and provide assistance in conforming with local custom and practice, without adding material expense.
Expertise & Subspecialties
We Represent Many of the Leading Brands in Franchising
GPM represents many of the most well-known and respected franchisors in the world, as well as regional and start-up franchisors. We have handled virtually every issue a franchisor may face in a courtroom or in arbitration, and are honored to have done so for many of the leaders in the franchise industry, including:
- Batteries Plus, LLC
- Domino’s Pizza LLC
- Dunkin’ Brands
- H&R Block Tax Services LLC
- Hardee’s Food Systems, Inc.
- International Dairy Queen, Inc.
- Little Caesars
- Marriott Int’l, Inc.
- Meineke Car Care Centers
- Merry Maids, L.P.
- Outdoor Living Brands, Inc.
- Papa Murphy’s International, LLC
- Precision Tune Auto Care, Inc.
- Radisson Hotel Group
- ServiceMaster Residential/Commercial Services, L.P.