International Franchising & Distribution
Just as franchisees invest in a franchise to obtain the advantages of learning a business from someone who has already demonstrated how to successfully operate and replicate a business, wise franchisors and manufacturers invest in experienced, smart, business-oriented international franchise and distribution lawyers when expanding across national borders. Having represented franchisors in international transactions for four decades, Gray Plant Mooty's international franchise and distribution lawyers have generated an understanding of foreign franchise and related laws and of the practical ways to help clients achieve their expansion goals. We have identified a cadre of experienced franchise and distribution law lawyers in countries all over the world and work with them to help our clients deal with the nuances and practicalities of using international franchising and distribution programs in their countries. Our team of lawyers has represented companies in virtually every industry, in virtually all major countries, and in many emerging countries. We have learned the questions to ask and have developed the agreements, disclosures, and relationships that give our clients excellent, cost-effective legal services.
Knowing our clients business goals and how to help them formulate expansion strategies and negotiate with prospective foreign partners makes us an invaluable member of our clients development teams. If you are a franchisor or manufacturer executive who is considering your first or fiftieth international transaction, we have helped many others like you, and would like to talk with you about our approach and how it may benefit you.
Our reputation for international franchising services is stellar. We are ranked by Chambers Global and Who's Who International. We are regularly asked to make presentations at meetings hosted by the International Franchise Association, the American Bar Association Forum on Franchising, the International Bar Association, and the International Distribution Institute. We have written articles for their publications and have published books or book chapters on international franchising. One of our colleagues is also a member of the panel of arbitrators of the China International Economic and Trade Arbitration Commission.
- Help franchisors develop international expansion strategies, including master franchising, joint ventures, and area development franchising
- Draft and negotiate international franchise agreements, distribution agreements, agency agreements, and licensing agreements
- Prepare franchise disclosure documents and registration applications for use in countries with franchise laws
- Assist with local due diligence and coordinate the work of local counsel on legal issues unrelated to franchising
- Enforce international agreements and defend against claims of foreign franchisees and distributors
- International trademark and domain name protection
- International mergers and acquisitions