Charitable Gift Planning
A National Leader
Gray Plant Mooty has been a national leader in helping charities develop, receive and administer gifts since the Tax Reform Act of 1969 inaugurated the current era of planned giving. We continue to have one of the largest and deepest non-profit and charitable giving team in the region.
- We have deep and broad experience assisting charities located throughout the Midwest region and nation-wide in planning and implementing charitable gifts.
- We have obtained a number of groundbreaking IRS rulings that have opened up new categories of assets for use in charitable giving.
- Our team members speak regularly at regional and national gift planning conferences.
A Wide-Ranging Practice
We represent a broad array of charitable organizations, including colleges and universities, national church bodies, health care systems, arts organizations, social service organizations, community foundations and private family foundations.
We work extensively with all forms of charitable gifts. In addition to outright gifts, fractional interest gifts, bargain sales and other current gifts, our team has in-depth experience in all varieties of planned gifts, including charitable remainder trusts, charitable lead trusts and charitable gift annuities. We advise charities about the taxation and management of gifts of many different types of property, including restricted and unrestricted publicly-traded securities, interests in closely-held businesses, commercial, agricultural and residential real estate, retirement assets, musical instruments and artwork, farm commodities, mineral interests and digital property.
We offer charities the fullest spectrum of legal services.
- We help charities develop effective gift acceptance and endowment policies and procedures, along with gift checklists, document templates, and all legal needed to implement gifts.
- We advise in simple, understandable terms about the operation and tax consequences of all types of complex gift plans.
- We implement charitable trust arrangements, including trust agreements and transfer documents from the very basic to the highly sophisticated.
- Once a gift is made, our team can help keep it running smoothly or iron out difficulties should they occur, including advising about the operation of trusts, recognition agreements, operation and distribution of various types of endowment, general and donor-advised funds, and management and reporting of gifted assets.
- In the rare cases where disputes with donors or beneficiaries arise, we work with charities to negotiate resolutions, and where necessary, we represent them in any disputes and litigation.
- If a charitable gift requires it, our team also draws on the expertise and resources of Gray Plant Mooty's other practice groups, such as Real Estate, Environmental, Corporate, Securities, Financial Services, and Intellectual Property.
- We partner with our nonprofit clients to help them in their missions and work. We can provide training and information sessions for staff, Board members and donors about relevant topics, including charitable giving, nonprofit compliance, estate planning and other areas of interest. In addition, we host, free of charge, periodic client seminars and briefings on charitable and nonprofit topics in which our clients are interested and we publish client newsletters and alerts on developments and strategies they need to know about.
- Mayo Clinic
- University of Minnesota Foundation