Social enterprises and social entrepreneurs are breaking down the old distinction between the nonprofit and for-profit sectors, bringing together the passion and drive to “do good “ which is rooted in the charitable sector with the discipline of business and the power of the marketplace emanating from for-profit business models.
Legal structures are still evolving to address the needs of these organizations, but Gray Plant Mooty brings the deep understanding of nonprofits and tax-exempt organizations together with the business acumen and agility that come from serving entrepreneurial businesses, that are necessary to serve this dynamic and growing sector.
Gray Plant Mooty’s Social Enterprise/Social Entrepreneurship Team brings together attorneys from our Nonprofit and Tax-Exempt Organizations Team and our Entrepreneurial Services Team to provide the full spectrum of legal advising, consulting and counsel needed to serve these enterprises and entrepreneurs. In true Gray Plant Mooty style, we collaborate to bring the best thinking to bear on our work for our Social Enterprise and Social Entrepreneurial clients. We know that providing creative and cost-effective service is crucial. Our services include:
- Creating the best legal structure for the enterprise, whether nonprofit 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization, LLC, business corporation, L3C, benefit corp, taxable nonprofit, or a combination of multiple entities
- Advising on unrelated business income tax considerations
- Educating the Board of Directors on governance best practices in the social enterprise context
- Preparing contracts that address both mission and business objectives
- Protect and leverage intellectual property through licensing and distribution arrangements
- Social franchising
- Obtaining funding and financing, including program related investments
- Establishing employment and consulting agreements
- Creating stock option and executive compensation plans
- Compliance with state and federal securities laws
- Structuring strategic alliances and joint ventures
- Pursuing mergers and acquisitions
We speak regularly on social enterprise and social entrepreneurial topics, including at the Social Enterprise Alliance National Summit and the UST Social Entrepreneurship Symposium. We are proud to be a founding member of the Social Enterprise Alliance Twin Cities Chapter.
- Hammer Travel, LLC
- Peace Coffee
- virtuwell by HealthPartners
Related Client Stories